Connecticut universities reopening with little damage

Dark, Ominous Clouds Promise Rain and poor Weather.Connecticut is rushing to restore power after last nights visit from category 1 tropical storm, Sandy. After the system moved out, a strange calm came over the area as clear skies broke revealing downed trees, scattered branches and debris.

Nearly a quarter of a million homes are currently without electricity and many parts of the state deal with flood waters as deep as 3 feet. The hardest hit were homes near the beach line facing Long Island Sound such as Norwalk, Bridgeport, West Haven and East Haven.

But even as the many people still come to grips with the damage, normalcy is returning to most the colleges and universities throughout the state.

Fairfield University has reported that the campus has made it through the storm with no major damage.

Yale University said an exhaust fan fell from the engineering building and a bus shelter had collapsed do to the extreme winds. But, there were no injuries or major property damages and there were only a few sustained power outages. The university is currently offering food and shower services at discounted rates for those affected by Hurricane Sandy.

University of New Haven has sent out an email to the faculty and staff that it plans to resume normal operations starting Wednesday. Major notes from the email;

• Faculty and staff should report for regular office hours on Wed October 31.
• Residence halls will reopen on Wednesday, October 31, beginning at 11 a.m.
• Classes for undergraduate students will begin on Thursday, November 1 on the normal schedule.
• Student activities and athletic events will resume their normal schedules beginning on Thursday, November 1.
• Normal meal hours will resume on Thursday, November 1.

University of Hartford will re-open Wednesday and classes will resume Thursday.

University of Connecticut – Avery Point will be closed Wednesday, due to the impact of the storm and is scheduled to open Thursday, November 1. All other campuses will resume normal operations Wednesday.